Sunday, June 1, 2008

Maryland Memories

I have been reflecting on my memories of growing up in Maryland and wanted to share some of those memories. Mostly this is just a random walk down Memory Lane. I was born in Catonsville, MD. My father was a builder and my mother was a teacher. We lived with my paternal grandfather in a stucco house he built until I was 5 and then moved to Ellicott City in Howard County (waay out in the sticks).


Rowhouses in Baltimore
My paternal grandfather had a concrete business and built many of the steps leading to the street during the Depression


My early recollections are of visiting my maternal grandparents who lived on Edmondson Avenue. I loved going there. The streetcar ran right past their rowhouse (which would be called a townhouse now). I don't remember riding on the streetcar but I do remember looking through the Venetian blinds in my grandmother's bedroom and seeing it coming down the street with cars on either side.





I could walk to the end of their block and there was the Seven Up Bottling Company. If I walked in the other direction, I could go to the corner and wait for my grandfather to come home from Camden Yards. He was Superintendent at Camden Station for the B & O Railroad. I remember him coming home in his suit and always wearing a hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment