Sunday, June 1, 2008

Places I Remember

  • Harvest Festival at Catonsville Elementary School
  • Watching the fireworks at Catonsville High School
  • Shopping at Hess Shoes - the monkeys is the window - the horse rides in the shoe store - walking across the bridge
  • Shopping at the Hecht Co at Edmondson and eating in the cafeteria
  • Shopping at the Westview Mall
  • Taking the No. 8 bus from the Junction in Catonsville to Baltimore to shop at Hutzlers and Stewarts
  • Women in their fur pieces, gloves and hats shopping downtown
  • The bargain basement at Stewarts
  • The lunch counter at Hutzlers
  • Wilton Farm Dairy
  • The egg man delivering fresh eggs
  • The milkman delivering milk and leaving it in the silver colored box outside our kitchen door
  • Skimming off the cream from the top of the milk and shaking the milk to mix it
  • Going "down the ocean" (Ocean City) for as long as I can remember
  • Staying at the Commander Hotel in Ocean City
  • Salt Water Taffy
  • Trimpers on the boardwalk (especially the carousel)
  • Five Oaks Swimming Pool
  • The Enchanted Forest
  • Forest Hill Swim Club
  • Dolly's Ice Cream Parlor
  • Father's Gay Nineties in Catonsville
  • Westview Cinema
  • Westview Drive-In
  • Watermont Pharmacy and the Watermont boys
  • The graduating class at Howard High School "decorating" the water tower
  • Watching football games at Howard High
  • Reads Drug Store
  • GEM
  • EJ Korvette
  • The Heritage House
  • Dunloggin Farm
  • Children's Opera at Maiden Choice
  • The swinging bridge in Catonsville
  • 9 mile hill
  • Westview Lounge
  • Howard Place
  • Meetcha at Ameches
  • Ginos hamburgers
  • The Hippodrome Theater
  • The Chinese Laundry on Ingleside Ave (the men wore queues)
  • Patapsco Inn
  • The Senator Theater
  • Dances at the Ellicott City Armory every Friday night

9 comments:

  1. I remember going to Father's Gay Nineties for ice-cream sundaes to celebrate our birthdays. My family moved from Columbia Hills to New Jersey in the 1970's, so I wasn't sure if it was still open, so I googled it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents owned fathers Gay Ninties and it is such a fond memory for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of people have fond memories of it. You and your parents should be proud!

      Delete
  3. jeffdellacqua@gmail.comOctober 11, 2010 at 11:56 PM

    An old friend who lived in Catonsville about 30 years ago, recently asked me if I remembered a ice cream store in Catonsville. She said her family would go there after birthdays and 1st Communions. She also said they had ice cream selections that were named after fairy tale subjects, like Lil Red Riding Hood. After an hour of Googling , I came up with Father's Gay. Was she correct about the menu ? Do you have a link to the menu ? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anyone remember The Arundel in the Dundalk Shopping Center ? I worked there from 1959 to 1961. A great place to work and it was the place for teens to hangout, before all of the fast food places.
    Ken Bynion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I remember almost of of those things - quite fondly! Esp. Father's and the Monkey Bar barber shop (Hess Shoes ref.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGoodness, I was just telling my oldest son (32) about Fathers Gay Nineties, and decided to look it up. Wow, I got more than I bargained for....I remember so, so, many of your list here. I kinda remembered at Fathers Gay Nineties, they had a "an ice-cream boat"...where you would get 99 scoops of ice-cream plus toppings in a real boat, for some rediculous amount of money. Things are never the same....

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful list of memories. I found this while searching for information on what happened to the Father's Gay Nineties in Timonium, MD. I never knew there were more. Gosh, I wish there was a location still available to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there were a location available to us, too, Kathryn! It was a great place!

      Delete